Back in January I wrote a post where I made some promises to myself for the New Year. I thought it might be fun to revisit that post and see where I find myself at the end of Q1.
(Yes, I work in a businessy-type-field so I use terms like Q1 and ROI and other bizness-speak sometimes)
Let's review, shall we?
1) Be More Active. - I'm actually doing somewhat well with this. I've been faithfully going to the Y three days a week and averaging about 16-20 pool lengths for each roughly 25 minute workout. I'm having a hell of a time getting there earlier than 8am, which kind of puts a limit on how long I can work out, so I try to push myself for those 25 minutes.
I also returned to kick-boxing and have not missed a Monday workout thus far. It's been a challenge. I'm not going to lie, I'm probably about 30-40 lbs heavier than I was when I stopped going (a couple months before I got my diagnosis and I was feeling shitty all the time) so getting used to the way my body moves and what it can and can no longer do.
It's frustrating in many ways. For instance, I've developed fat-girl ankles, which basically mean they don't hold up to high-impact (like skipping, running) like they used to. They get sore and achy. The first couple workouts my calves seized up, much like the did when I played with Reagan's basketball league.
Room for Improvement: Nicer weather is coming, so I need to get my iPod or other digital music thingie loaded up and get out walking on my lunch breaks and/or after dinner. Hiking season comes fast.
2) The Penis Table. - I'm going to give myself a pass on this one. It's winter and I lack facilities with the proper ventilation to adequately deal with stripper and paint fumes.
3) Blog More. - I started off kind of strong in the beginning on this one, but kind of dwindled, from 7 posts on this blog in January, down to 2 in March (not including this one). I blame a cycle of 'Nothing going on, nothing to write about' mixed with 'too much going on, no time to write.'
The art blog had a similar decline in posts: 5 in January, 4 in February, and 3 in March. The two roadblocks I'm having can be summed up by the following:
- I'm only posting finished projects. I currently have three projects on the go, plus at least two more I want to start.
- I'm hesitant to post some of the older stuff, mainly because A) I've been doing a lot of fixes and re-dos, so I hold off posting older works in case I decide to rework them, and B) Some of the old stuff is kind of terrible and I'm frankly a little embarrassed.
4) Paint. Draw. Craft. - Bragging time, because I've been a goddamned VIKING in this area. As I mentioned, I've got a number of projects on the go, and I've been getting a good 2-3 hours in some weeks of creative time.
I entered another painting in a local show, and was once again skunked, so that was a set-back, but I'm going to keep trying and also check out some shops that deal in local art.
5) Write. - To quote Jon Stewart: "I don’t have any specific plans, just a lotta ideas, a lotta things in my head." I may or may not have some paragraphs and sentences saved in various files on my computers, that could one day blossom into something more substantial.
6) Make Music. - Yeah, I kind of let this one slide. I'm getting out of practice, no lie. I did make it to one open mic, the saturday afternoon one at the MCC. It's a busy one, though, and you only get two songs per set, which seems like... well, you're just hitting your stride. Three makes more sense. One to warm up, a second one for redemption, and a third one to kick ass at.
7) Audition for Plays. - There were some auditions a few weeks ago. I found out the morning of, so I missed it. My kid is in a play, though. Does that count?
Stay Tuned for Part 2...